Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006...i'm moving on...





On blogging...


I had such a hard time trying to start a blog because I always had this impression it will be an abandoned mine, an unfinished job that isn't worth the maintenance effort if you don't expect to see the end of the tunnel. Many friends of mine have blogs of their own. Some had internalized the blogging habit into their daily routine while others simply stopped at some point of time when they found it too much of a hassle to maintain their blogs. I guess when everything picks up rhythm in a society like ours, it is hard to find time to translate the deep yet random thoughts in our minds into words, to jot them down somewhere and to look back at them. Or very simply, our lives might have become so mundane and iterative that we just can't find any interesting things to talk about anymore.

I spent half my life in front of my PC either doing work or looking for interesting stuff to download. It never did cross my mind that I could make use of the idle online time to pen some thoughts, send them out to the world and hear them echo in cyberspace. I suppose I was just lazy. And my command of English isn't very good.

Moving on...

It's the first day of the new year. The past one month had been a tough one, despite it being the school holidays. I was in the midst of my exams when I was told my Papa had been diagnosed cancer, and shortly after that, I fell out with my girlfriend. It wasn't easy managing so many crisis at one time. Taking care of Papa was #1 priority. I drove him up and down the hospital for cancer treatment everyday and spent many hours in hospital waiting, waiting...and waiting. We're doing everything to manage the physical side effects of his treatment and he's doing alright now. Another 2 months or so, and he'll be back to work. It really didn't feel like the holz to me at all. Just when I thought I can get myself settled down, it's time to head back to school.

My 2005 resolution was to be more humble. It didn't quite work out for me. The short BGR I had made me realize my pride is the only thing that's preventing me from moving on. I can't be "myself" anymore. I need to change and the first thing I need to do is to step down that big ego, be less judgmental of people and me more aware of what others think about me.

And so 2006 really looks uncertain to me. There are obviously very important tasks to be accomplished which are however not worth mentioning here...be more hardworking, more positive and doing everything i can to improve that disappointing GPA of mine. These are what I call routine tasks to accomplish a short-term goal, certainly not a major component in my life.

However task-oriented it may be, nonetheless, it is still important to have a wishlist and certain things to look forward to for the next couple of months. I've decided to give my ACCA course a break. I started doing it during NS as a timefiller and I didn't expect to come this far. I'm 3 modules away from completing the whole course and obtaining the first professional certification of my own. But I kinda had enough of all the boring auditing and accounting talk and I simply loathe studying for the exams. I'm gonna take a break from it and slowly finish the remaining modules in the next 3 years or so. Meanwhile, I'm gonna learn something that I've always wanted to - Japanese.

It could have been any foreign language and wouldn't matter much to my ability since I do have an affinity towards languages (I picked up cantonese from listening to cantopop alone!), but I guess I have too much respect for the Japanese culture and supremacy. It will be a 5 year course and I'm gonna just give the Elementary class a try to see if it really is my cup of tea.

I believe the Japanese class will be another major commitment that requires time, effort and money to keep up with and to maintain my passion for it. I am also looking forward to the summer vacation to do an internship and to save up enough money to go NYC hopefully. I really love travelling. Unrealistic as it seems, but I guess these are some things I can work towards. If things take a turn, I guess I would just have to live with them and make the best out of what I can do.

Now, right now..first day of 2006..my immediate wish is that my Papa can recover quickly and my brave and strong family can walk out of the storm unscathed. I am positive towards everything and I hope everything, in time to come, will be pleasant and smoothsailing for me and you, my readers.

I hope I didn't sound too stern. Haha...i'll be back shortly.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home