Thursday, May 31, 2007

Midweek Break!

I can't tell you how badly I needed this mid-week break.

Tomorrow is Vesak Day and I don't have to report to office thankfully and it's one day off SMU Squash Fever 2007.

It's amazing how time flies when you get down to serious money-paying work. It's only my 3rd day at UBS and already my very nice manager has walked me through quite a few of the bank reconciliation systems, and pre-empted me of my arduous tasks ahead. I am working at UBS Investment Banking Division - Operations Control and Reconciliations unit and report to 2 ladies, both senior analysts who interviewed me for the job the other day. One of them is still on leave and the other has spared me from helping her out because the manager, who's their common supervisor, bypassed the both of them and task some hard-core tasks to me already. And i'm sitting right beside him cos most banks' back offices have open-concept floor space. The entire ops control & rec team is quite small and all of them are nice people and no power distance at all. And also, there're many many char bor of all ages sitting around me. Even the directors are female.

I think maybe cos summer term just ended, and i'm running up and down SP evening for Squash Fever 07, so I'm usually quite shagged out in office and appear very stony and listless. Hope it's not gonna affect my bosses' impression of me man. Staring at excel and supercheem pivot tables and understanding what all the abbrevs and codes mean is really painful. Am only doing flowcharts so far while still trying to find out what exactly is the work that i'm supposed to do. I would say it's almost pure accounting work, and maybe some programming in time to come. I wish I were more knowledgeable with IT applications and programming languages.

Good thing there're people like Julia and weiwen and some other SMU UBS-interns in the area to lunch out together. My team people are also nice lunch kakis, cos they're mostly contract stuff and they talk about anything under the sun in a comfortable english-mix-chinese lingo.

~

And moving onto Squash Fever 07, it really isn't an ez task organizing open tournaments, but it sure is very satisfying and fulfilling when players come up to you and tell you they appreciate the initiative. And what's more there's really some competition among the squash players out there judging from the matches i've umpired so far. Damn thrilling!

I am extremely extremely extremely grateful to my team of competent and committed bunch of fella smu squashies, michelle and our gd fren-cum-coach Maoyuan. Although the event is not over, I still wanna acknowledge all the hard work that everyone's put in. Let's hope we have more fun overseeing the semis and finals. I got no voice liao...thx to umpiring more than 20 matches in the past 3 days. Relli thankful tmr's vesak day. *phew*

~

And i must say my HK trip was a blessing to my summer FIIM module. Got back result liao, not too bad. Haha. Next time I must go on a trip before every single final paper, then like that can score well.

Good news motivate me to a greater deal. Hope there're more good news to come soon!

~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home