Thursday, August 13, 2009

First sign of 'mean reversion'

Yesterday and today felt like the same day.

My eyes reluctantly opened exactly at the point when the clock's minute hand passed the 7.40am mark. First sign of precision.

I woke up on the same side of the bed with exactly the same frazzled hair. And again, subconsciously, i pulled out another white Gold Lion shirt from my wardrobe without a second thought...took the same amount of time in the shower and then left house exactly at the same instance as i did yesterday. And I am pretty sure i had my right foot out of the door first as always.

On my way to the train station, taking the same and probably shortest possible path, I met the 74 year-old indian man again...at the same spot just behind the HDB block across the road from my house. He is my neighbor and he just completed his daily morning exercise at the stadium. My mom knew him and i met him in the lift once when he was talking to my mom. Again, I tried to draw his attention by walking head-on towards him. And again, he walked around me..not casting a glance.

At the train station, I proceeded towards the front end of the platform where the first door of the first train compartment would opened for me. Again, the Pasir Ris-bound train coming down from Woodlands was too packed for anyone to get into. So again, I (we) waited. The familiar indian couple, the extremely skinny girl wearing a sleeveless top and another Indian worker in his same old purple pants showed up at the same spot on the platform. The wife of the couple had her Business Times with her as usual and she flipped directly to the crossword puzzle section again and was seen whispering into her hubby's ears - the same words every morning. This is probably the #345679876543 time the same group of us gathered at this spot at this very minute of the mundane morning, waiting for the same train which would carry at least 75% familiar faces.

How many times coincidence? I don't know. Seems to me like a mean reversion of everyone's bio-clock, and probably their daily range of activities and behaviours as well.

What has become of this life? Will tomorrow hold the same truth as yesterday and today?

~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home