Sunday, March 12, 2006

Old guy in a young man's body...

It's one of my late night blogging sessions again...and I'm here nicely resting my butt on my comfy armchair, staring at my bedside lamp and looking at all the weird stuff I have on the walls of my bedroom...movie posters, colourful postcards, kitkat boxes and vintage ad posters.. and then it struck me that I'm really into all the old things - outdated cantopop, retro music, vintage ads, old women... and constantly living the fantasy of travelling back in time to experience my mom and dad's lives and to witness the entire process of how the monochrome world had evolved into what it is today.

Lately, I heard about the upcoming musical Grease - It's still the word! and got so excited over it. I was first influenced by my sister when she was back in secondary school where there's this huge craze over That Thing You Do! and the ever-famous John Travolta's Grease. My sis bought the Grease soundtrack and after hearing it for the first time, I was immediately hooked onto it. Songs like You're The One That I Want, Grease Lightning and We Go Together have become my favour shower tunes since then. And then I remember downloading a hell lot of 80s music from the #retronite channel on IRC... and before I turned 16, I was already an avid listener of hardcore retro music.

And it's at the same time that I began listening to lots of old cantonese songs performed by Sandy Lam, Beyond and even Sam Hui. It's more of the early 90s exposure actually and I basically lived through my years of schooling listening to these old sappy and cheesy love songs. I could sing and play some of them on guitar and occasionally, I forgot how old I was and felt a little anachronistically displaced.

I also love to see old cars scooting along the busy cosmopolitan streets of Singapore, cars ranging from the super old ones with S or E prefixed license plates to those old Mercedez and Jaguar models that had undergone a little touching up. I would love to get an old beetle or something in the future but I guess it's best to be more practical at the end of the day.

When it comes to travelling, even though I love combing through the concrete forests of those huge bustling cities, I do enjoy taking a stroll down the quiet streets of an old quaint town. It's the quaintness that I particularly feel so special about cos it seems as though I'm walking the footsteps of my Dad or Granddad and there's this element of surprise and intriguity.

Into vintage ads recently as well...I managed to tear a few pages off an old diary filled with vintage posters from the worldwarII era and had them scanned, printed and stuck onto my walls. I'm not quite an art person myself honestly, but somehow I seem to be able to appreciate these vintage ads and understand why they have such high reprint values.

I feel like an old guy in a young man's body, but thank god I don't quite dress like my Dad. Both my Dad and I enjoy listening to songs by Teresa Teng & Fei Yu Qing though, so I guess there's still this old feeling lingering somewhere in me. And really, I would love to trace his footsteps back in time and see what kind of person he was, what kind of life he led, how many girlfriends he had, what secrets he kept, how he and my mom met etc etc ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home