Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The forgotten and the unforgotten...

Exams are finally over. They just ended yesterday but I already had the vaguest impression of having mugged for and sat thru' the papers. Despite their underlying importance, these were just some of the insignificant and repeated events in life that went flushing down the memory bowl and ... forgotten.

I'd just finished watching Walk The Line, the recent movie made for the late Nashville legend Johnny Cash. I always wonder what's the point of showcasing the lives of famous people only after they die? Is it a form of legacy put on the big screen to make sure these people go unforgotten in history? I believe it's cos certain milestones, turning points, setbacks and moments of clarity in one's lives only come into light when it's time to conclude his own life story. And these little anecdotes and episodes of one's life are worth revisiting only cos there must be something we can learn, for better or worse, out of them. Is it just a matter of curiosity to find out what went on behind the glamorous facade of celebrities like Johnny Cash and Ray Charles (both had an impressive drug addiction and philandering history)?

My mom was talkin about my late uncle in the car this morning. This uncle is my dad's 3rd elder bro. He passed before i was borned. Nasopharyngeal Cancer, the one my dad's diagnosed also. All these years, I only have a vague impression of him thru photos and the stories told about him. He was only 35 and was morally upright and according to my mom, someone nice to talk to. He could perhaps be our closest kin if he were still alive today. But still, he remains as an impression to me only but i know in my parents' heart, he will always be remembered as a good brother.

He was only 35. That shows how much of the world he's not seen. As I think about all these issues about life and death, it boils to something really cliched but often overlooked, that is to lead life to the fullest, create the most positive impacts on people, set oneself as a role model and go unforgotten in history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home