Thursday, May 04, 2006

Stop being a quitter....

How many times have you told yourself this, "ok if i'm not gonna succeed this time round, i'm not gonna do it again..." ?

I think unless backed by good reasons, it's really quite a personal disgrace to not-finish the race, a let down or something.... And when you breathe in this disgrace, it's more of a self-denial of inability cos of big ego and some inferior complex mixed together. Oh c'mon, don't throw the towel...if you can do it again, just do it again!

There is only 1 ultimate winner and 3 medals to vie for in every sporting event. Does it mean 997 out of 1000 marathoners will choose not to cross the finishing line becos they can't clinch e top-3 positions anyway? Lance Armstrong was a 7-time Tour De France winner, but what pushed him to beat one more cyclist in every subsequent race is his never-say-quit attitude. It's a learning experience afterall.

I can think of so many instances of myself at the quit-or-don't-quit decisionmaking crossroad...when i failed my driving test, when i failed 2 ACCA modules, when i didn't have time to practise my organ and guitar, when i didn't have the discipline to complete my fitness regime, when I said i've no time to play squash, when my first relationship turned out to be a total disaster....... I think there're a few things which i did quit permanently...haha..and i dont' foresee doing them ever again...

I think for some, I chose to quit because I simply couldn't develop any passion or interest in it whether or not i have the talent...Passion and Talent...shall talk abt it another day... If my reason to quit is cos I really have no interest in it, I guess i should be spared if i can channel the energy to something else which i can call my passion. However, if i had chosen to quit cos of procrastination, laziness, lack of discipline, or just plain fear of admitting defeat...in retrospect, i won't forgive myself. A lot of times, it's not about one's ability to achieving something, but rather his attitude towards achieving it..quite general..but there're so many specific examples to prove this point. Too often, we give excuses like "no-time", "no-money", "t00-tired", "i have more impt things to do" to mask up all those regressive attitudes.

It's time to sit down, get yourself more task-driven (task: something mandatory that you can't avoid), more passion-seeking (passion: intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction and ardent affection for something), choose the right path, walk that direction and don't look back.


~yj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home